Date:      Wed, 09 Apr 2008 17:01:31 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "make-localhost" not there (DNS/named setup on 7.0)

--------------enigCED7E41C49D0F5F940397E58

Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> After installing FreeBSD 7.0 (AMD64-version) on a new machine wanted
> to set up a caching DNS.
>=20
> As per the handbook
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-dns.=
html)
> I wanted to run "make-localhost" in order to set up the configuration
> files. But the script "make-localhost" isn't there:
>=20
> $ pwd
> /etc/namedb
> $ ls -l
> total 22
> drwxr-xr-x  2 bind  wheel    512 Feb 24 10:39 dynamic
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel    512 Mar 17 12:50 master
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  11259 Mar 17 16:01 named.conf
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   2963 Mar 17 16:01 named.root
> drwxr-xr-x  2 bind  wheel    512 Feb 24 10:39 slave
> $=20
>=20
> Not in this directory, nor anywhere else:
>=20
> # find / -name make-localhost=20
> #=20
>=20
> First I thought I did something wrong so I set up another machine with
> the AMD64-version of 7.0, but alas - same result - again
> "make-localhost" isn't there. =20
>=20
> Has anybody else seen this behavior? Is the handbook wrong wrt setup
> of named on a AMD64-system?
>=20
> Thanks much in advance for any clue,
> -ewald

The handbook is slightly out of date and the 'make-localhost' script
is now history.  Instead, the system comes with pre-installed=20
/etc/namedb/master/localhost-forward.db and .../localhost-reverse.db
zone files and the appropriate configuration shown in the example
named.conf file.  Basically, ignore the paragraph in the handbook
that says 'run make-localhost' and nowadays base your named.conf on the
sample configuration supplied with the system rather than the examples sh=
own
in the handbook.

	Cheers,

	Matthew