Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 15:52:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        neil@synthcom.com (Neil Bradley)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quad-PIII...exists?

> > 	ASUS doesn't make a dual-PIII motherboard yet, and IBM has a
> > Quad-PIII server...but IBM is over-priced, IMHO...
>
> For dual PIII, go for the Supermicro. I've found so many marginal hardware
> problems with Tyan and Asus that I'd never consider them again. I've had
> excellent luck with all of my Supermicro boards. I don't know if they make
> quad boards (though they'd be expensive no matter where you get them
> from), but they make a line of very solid dual CPU motherboards.

Humm... and my experience here is similiar, but in the opposite direction,
I won't touch a Supermicro or Tyan board, but ASUS has been rock solid
for us, sans occasional problems with BIOS code.

And for a ``Tiawanese in-expensive board'' we do a big volume in Soltek, have
had outstanding luck with them, and since we are an official distributor
we get top nouch service when the rare RMA comes up.  They are a little
late with thier Dual PII BX board, but given the good luck we have always
had with the other products I am going to give a few a ``test drive''.

Care to expand on the ``marginal hardware problems''?

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net