Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:16:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        spidaman@well.com (Ian Kallen)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Feasibility of porting Linux filesystem code?

> Come to think of it, I've migrated all of our IRIX filesystems to XFS
> which is journaled like JFS.  A FreeBSD XFS driver would certainly put a
> smile on my face.  I just mentioned EFS 'case I knew it existed amongst
> the Linux folks.  XFS has proved to be very stable under heavy load though
> the procession of patches has made me wonder about how well they QA it.
> I wish xfsdump had the v switch that Solaris' ufsdump has for verifying
> a dump's integrity.  Er, I'm drifting.  Anyway, if you're interested in
> developing an XFS driver for FreeBSD you have my moral support anyway!

The Linux VFS interface is not reflexive; it's not cut at the right
place for a journalled FS.  FreeBSD's is much better, but it's still
not there either... I've discussed this in detail with the guy who
wrote the read-only NTFS driver for Linux.  You need to be able to
treat the VFS interface as if it were a transaction interface to do
things like event rollback.  It helps if the internal treatment is
architected as event/responder, too.  The same thing would help for
Soft Updates, which is basically a transaction order enforcement
mechanism, with the dependency graph statically computed (rendering
it FFS-specific).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org