Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 2009 23:08:42 +0200
From:      Ross Cameron <abalour@gmail.com>
To:        Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: best FBSD version for commercial use.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Gurus,
>

>   Im planing to move out of my FreeBSD 4.8-R! which served me like a charm
> for many years.
>
>   But not sure if I should go for 6.3 or 7.2
>
>   This server will be a DNS server, apache, shell accounts..php, mysql.

I would definitely go with a 7.2 install (until 8.0 is marked as production
ready by the fBSD dev team).
    And if you're running on half reasonably modern hardware go with the
AMD64 port.

Uhm just one piece of advice though, 4.8R was released in 2003 and support
for that release was ended YEARS ago.
Security updates for fBSD 4.x were ended in November 2006 and you're machine
has been vulnerable since.
    Frankly its a wonder that is hasn't been ripped to shreds and used for
any number of malevolent tasks.

Keeping fBSD up to date isn't a very difficult task and I would suggest that
you invest the time in this task.

--
"Opportunity is most often missed by people because it is dressed in
overalls and looks like work."