Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:01:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: swap_pager: indefinite link buffer device:

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Scott Lambert wrote:

> I had a machine die last night at around 2:01am.  That does *not*
> correspond with any cron jobs.
>
> When I got remote hands in front of it, this message was streaming on
> the console (copied from what remote hands said verbally, the formatting
> may be off):
>
> swap_pager: indefinite link buffer device:#idad/0x20001,blkno:280,size:4096

Your swap device went to lunch. (Usually the message is "indefinite wait
buffer" but I haven't checked.)

> Every console message said the same thing.
>
> There are no errors in the system's log files.

Probably since the rdrive that logs go to went to lunch too.

> The hardware is a dual PII 450Mhz Compaq 1850R with the Compaq SMART-2SL
> array controller with a 3x4.5GB RAID 5 configuration.  It uses the ida
> controller.
>
> I have 5 other identical boxes in the same configuration, doing
> different jobs, that have been working well for the past several months.
> This is the lowest loaded of my 1850R boxes and has been working just
> fine since it was put in production two months ago.

This is probably like a flaking dpt we have at work. I flashed the BIOS on
it but will try replacing the cable next. Something is failing and not
picking up the problem.

I wonder if you could try to provoke it by doing a rebuild or verify on
the volume(s) on the controller.

Also try uupdating the firmware for kicks, if its not up to date.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org