Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:12:57 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make GNU Make behave like BSD Make?

David Kelly wrote:

>So my question is "Is there a way to make GNU Make handle .depend the
>BSD way? And is it possible for the same Makefile to run the same way on
>either BSD or GNU Makes?"

I don't know the answer to your question (but I suspect it's "no, unless
you hack the source").

However, you could just try standardising on one make or the other.
gmake will build on FreeBSD and (unfortunately) may be the easiest way
to go.  There is also a thing called pmake (which I've used on Linux)
which claims to be "BSD make", though whose "BSD make" I have not been
able to fathom.  It *may* work like FreeBSD make in the scenario you are
asking about, but you'd have to try it to see.  (It does not,
regrettably, treat symlinks the same, going so far as to claim that a
source which exists as a symlink to somewhere else, does not exist at
all, even though it clearly does.  Sigh.  Whinge over).

--Alex