Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:47:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU, questions@freebsd.org, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

In article <local.mail.freebsd-questions/199908101725.AA277355913@broccoli.graphics.cornell.edu> you write:

>>Inre
>>the mascot issue, it was acknowledged in a prior round of this debate that
>>some promotional materials sans "devils" would be a good idea, but I've
>>never seen any produced.  Personally, I know that freebsd is not demonic,
>>however I won't display FreeBSD stuff with devils on it for fear of
>>confusing people who don't share our level of "sophistication" with
>>regards to obscure greek mysticism.
>
>Traditional as it may be, I feel the "cute little devil" was an
>unfortunate mascot choice and I support the idea of producing some
>promotional materials without his image on them.  Meanwhile, like Doug
>I am not displaying the current ones.

I'm of the opinion that the daemon looks cute, and there isn't
_that_ much resistance in the mainstream as you would think.

When was the last time you heard the press making an uproar over
the Duke Blue Devils?  Arizona Sun Devils?  IMHO, their logos are
more "demonic" than ours, but it doesn't seem to hurt them in the
national news.  And they get a lot more press than we do.  There's
even the New Jersey Devils, although their logo is more stylized.

Hmm.  Perhaps someone should put the beastie in a blue dress.  :-)
--
Jonathan