Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 15:22:10 -0400
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   unsolicited compliment

Every once in a while I think back to the summer after 9th grade
and thank my mother for strongly encouraging me to learn how to
type.  She didn't insist on much, and despite my resistance, she
made me sit down for 20 minutes a day to learn to touch type.  Back
then, I didn't know I'd be working in the Internet industry, but
every couple of months, I think about how much time I save and how
grateful I am to have had the benefit of her foresight.

I feel the same way about the FreeBSD ports system.  It's beautiful,
and the maintainers are outstanding.  Years ago, back in my days before
FreeBSD, I can remember the struggles of getting programs to compile,
then trying to track down all the darned dependencies to get them to
run, then having to make millions of decisions about where to put all
the files without feeling like I'm barfing all over my system.

Now, I type "make" and watch the components download, the port
magically taking care to install all the necessary dependencies while
making sound decisions about where to put the supporting cast of files.
I sit back with a smile of satisfaction, watching the port compile,
and feeling gratitude to those who had the foresight to devise the
ports system, and to those who maintain their ports for all of our
benefit.

Thank you, and keep up the good work!

Warm regards,
Omar