Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:32:17 +0100
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: teTex problems w/ port and package - back to Linux?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 01:57:23AM -0500, The Babbler wrote:

> I have 4.2-RELEASE from the ISO image on the web site.
> When I try to install the teTeX port, I get a message that there is no
> app-defaults file for xdi, and it quits with an install error:
>
> 	gmake: *** [install] Error 1
> 	*** Error code 2
>
> 	Stop in /usr/ports/print/teTeX.
> 	*** Error code 1
>
> 	Stop in /usr/ports/print/teTeX.
> 	*** Error code 1
>
> 	Stop in /usr/ports/print/teTeX.

Can you provide a bit more info, i.e. the stuff that comes just before
these error messages?

> Now, I had xdvi installed before teTeX, and a search of the questions
> archive suggeste that this might be a problem.  So I pkg-deleted it.  It
> was still there (!?), so I rm'ed the executable.  No dice.

xdvi is installed as part of teTeX. I never tried installing it separately.
If it's still there after a pkg_delete and the pkg_delete did not give
any error then I'm wondering if it could be that teTeX installed partly -
from above error message all I can see is that it fails during install.

> I figured out the the intall script was crapping out in the
> work/teTeX*/Makefile script when it tried to do texconfig, so I ran
> texconfig by hand; it fails for me, too.  So I changed texconfig to an
> echo command; this let it run to completion and register; then I did a
> deinstall, in the hopes that that would wipe out whatever conflicted.
> It printed lots of error messages and seemed to remove stuff, but I
> still get the error on re-install when I restore the Makefile.
>
> I have checked FreeBSD-current, and it has the same version number for
> the port.

That's correct, -stable and -current use the exact same ports tree :-).

> I got the current STABLE *package* for teTeX, and it fails, too; as
> follows:
>
> 	i7500# pkg_add -t ./tmp/instmp.XXXXXX -v teTeX*.*
> 	Requested space: 154888784 bytes, free space: 2598464512 bytes in
> /tmp/instmp.k13176

Hmmmm, weird message... never saw this one. It looks almost like a temp
directory is too small. I guess you checked your disk space already?

> 	Package `teTeX-1.0.7' depends on `png-1.0.9'.
> 	pkg_add: could not find package png-1.0.9 !

Unlike the port, pkg_add fails when it cannot find a dependency, instead
of downloading and installing it. Apparently, png-1.0.9 is not present on your
system; you need to download that package as well.

> 	Package `teTeX-1.0.7' depends on `libwww-5.3.1'.
> 	 - already installed.
> 	pkg_add: 1 package addition(s) failed
>
> I really am at wit's end.  I like most aspects of FreeBSD better than
> Linux, but if it can't run TeX I will have no choice but to go back.
> I'd really hate to change O/S's again, so I'm really hoping that there's
> some help available here.

I'm running teTeX on various FreeBSD systems very happily, so I guess that
it should be possible for you too.

Regards,
Karel.