Date:      Sat, 4 Feb 2012 09:53:19 +0000
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
Subject:   Re: fixating USB Storage

On Saturday 04 February 2012, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> I don't know if anyone else has already mentioned it to you in
> response to this question, but I just very recently switched over to
> using volume labels to mount my partitions instead of device names.
> =A0I was having an ongoing issue where this external USB drive's device
> number assignment would change from one boot to the next, toggling
> back and forth between da0 and da4 (strange!).

Sounds similar to my experience. Normally my internal 4 slot memory card=20
reader is assigned devices da[0-3] and when the USB memory stick is=20
inserted it comes up as da4. If the USB stick is present on booting=20
then it appears as da0 and the card reader is da[1-4]. So it looks like=20
occupied slots are given priority when numbers are assigned at boot=20
time.

=2D-=20
Mike Clarke