Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 22:58:49 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Dylan Hoffman <dante@LanMinds.Com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: make.conf empty

On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 02:10:09PM +0000, Dylan Hoffman wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> I'm trying my first update, from 4.0-Release to 4.1-Stable, so I'm
> carefully following the steps in the handbook. So, checking
> /etc/make.conf, I saw it is almost empty,

/etc/defaults/make.conf is what you are looking for. As with
/etc/defaults/rc.conf, don't edit that file, copy the relevant lines
to /etc/make/conf and edit them there (/etc/make.conf doesn't get
touched when you build the world).

> it only has:
>
> USA_RESIDENT=NO
>
> what, BTW, it is not true.

I think that is a *safe* default related to the US govt export
restrictions and the RSA patent. If you are a US resident you should
change this (yes, I know the export restrictions have been lifted, but
the RSA patent doesn't expire 'til later this year).

> So my question is: where can I find the
> options to configure the file? (and if a good samaritan can send me a
> copy of the file so I can copy it, would be great). I'm afraid to miss
> some important build flags.
>
> Just another question: do I need to remake the devices? I have not seen
> any comment about it on the list, just in the handbook.
>
> Thanks,
> Dylan

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?