Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:28:05 -0700
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NE2000 clone ISA card

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has seen something similar to what I encountered.

Not terribly long ago I installed FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE on an old 486
DX2/66 16MB RAM VESA/ISA PC with a small 400 MB HD belonging to a local
high school.  Everything seemed to work normally, so I took the box back to
the school to try it on their ethernet.  On boot, the machine correctly
detects the NE2000 clone card as device ed1 (never ed0 - weird), printing
the hardware ethernet address.  The lights on the card show that it is
plugged into the hub and happy, and I can even see the traffic light
blinking.  Then the weirdness comes along.  I see a "ed1: device timeout"
message as the boot begins starting network services.

Once the boot completes, I cannot ping the network at all.  Nothing.  No
response.  But I can ping the machine's own IP address just fine even
though it is not routing via the loopback device.

I've tried several different NE2000 clones, and the result is identical
each time.  The card IS seeing the traffic from the local network, and the
cabling is fine.  Is this a slight driver incompatibility issue?

Puzzled,
Aaron out.