Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 18:55:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian O'Shea <b_oshea@yahoo.com>
To:        Brian O'Shea <b_oshea@yahoo.com>, Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
Cc:        Hackers FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 5.2.1-RC hangs occasionally when sound files are played using the pcm driver

--- Brian O'Shea <b_oshea@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> >
> > 	Hello Brian,
> > 	Don Lewis commited changes to the 5.2- tree on 2/14.  Could
> > you update and try again, also please do run with witness and
> > invariants, and if possible try to get a crashdump so we can see
> > what's happening.
>
> Sure.  I'll try to reproduce it with witness and invariants first, just
> to avoid changing too many conditions at the same time.  Failing that,
> I'll update to the latest 5.2 tree and see if the problem goes away.

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                #Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
options         INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of internal
structures, required by INVARIANTS
options         WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect deadlocks and
cycles
#options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        #Don't run witness on spinlocks for
speed

Ok, the problem seems to happen much more reliably now, but still no
panic (so no crash dump).  However, I did notice that for some reason
I had built an SMP kernel.  All kernels that I have seen exhibit this pcm
driver hang were apparently SMP kernels...I guess that's the default
in GENERIC, which I copied and adapted for my kernel config.  As my system
only has one CPU, I will build a UP kernel and see if that has any
effect.

Thanks,
-brian