Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 14:36:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Tim Ryder <jawse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: The joys of Windows

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Tim Ryder wrote:

> I dont see why everyone here hates windows.  I am a
> linux/bsd/windows user at home and windows user at work.  When I
> am home i use linux because it is interesting, not because it is
> better, because it really isnt better.  When I go to work I use
> window because its time to get some real work done.

"Real work"?  Define that.  I do LOTS of "real work" on FreeBSD.

>   All this talk about bsd and linux being better than windows is
> bullshit.  I have windows 2000 and when I do anything on FreeBSD
> or Linux, it is always slower then when I do it on windows and now
> with win 2000 out, windows even has better memory management.

Where are you getting the crack you're smoking?  Windows 2000 is by
far the slowest pile of crap I have ever encountered.  It turns my
PIII-850 systems into 486 equivalents (OK, not quite THAT bad, but it
is far slower than NT4 on the same system).  I work with a LOT of
various systems running Windows 95, 98, NT, and 2000, so I have a good
perspective on what performs well and what doesn't.  I also use
FreeBSD on my personal workstations at home and at work.  I wouldn't
give up FreeBSD for anything, but I do require Windows for certain
applications that don't exist on FreeBSD or Linux.  This is why I
bought VMWare so that I never have to leave FreeBSD. :-)

> I like linux and freebsd, but I also know that right now for the
> desktop and home use, windows 2000 is by far the better option. I
> really hope that BSD or Linux someday is better than windows and
> then I will use them for everything, but until then you just cant
> beat windows.

"A better option" is pretty relative.  If the applications you want
run on Linux or FreeBSD, Windows is definately not a better option.
Ditto for the other direction, too.  I _can_ say with authority that
Windows is a pain in the butt from an administrative point of view.
I administrate nearly a thousand various Windows machines and would
LOVE if they all ran FreeBSD instead.  Of course, then I would be out
of a job because machines would stay running for years instead of
days. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )