Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 22:14:48 +0200
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        Kenneth Ingham <ingham@i-pi.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rlogin as root refused

Kenneth Ingham wrote:

> Do a:
> man 5 ttys
> for the docs.  Basically, it is a security issue and controlled by the
> /etc/ttys file.

Honestly, I'm still feeling dubious as to the proper usage of the
/etc/ttys, with respect of network secure login.

According to the man page, I can set secure if the fourth field is "on".
But question is on what? The second field is "none", because no getty
initialises the line in that case. Also, I would assume that setting
"on" a pseudo device would tend to confuse the init, that would have
"none" to start with.

However, I tried it out, with no success. I'll eventually keep trying
later .. :-)

Just for the record, as far as I remember right: in similar cases other
BSD-ish systems, like SunOS, don't need the secure option in their
equivalent (I think) /dev/ttytab file, despite they even lack the
accessory file /etc/login.access

Thanks,
Marco M.