Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2008 13:49:44 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ed Schouten <ed@80386.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
Subject:   Re: git problems

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Ed Schouten wrote:

> * Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org> wrote:
>> I am having problems with the git out of ports .... git-fetch keeps on
>> dumping core when I try update of xorg (the initial checkout works ok).
>> I'm running FreeBSD-current ... does anyone have any idea why this might
>> be?
>>
>> When I try to do a gdb -c corefile on the resulting core image, all i get
>> is a couple of thousand empty stack frames.  Any idea why that might be,
>> also?
>
> I'm seeing this on HEAD, not RELENG_6. I don't have a backtrace nearby, but
> it seems to be crash inside free().

Application memory errors in HEAD but not in a RELENG_ branch are frequently a
symptom of an application bug unmasked by malloc(3) debugging enabled in the
development branch but not production branches.  It might not hurt to ramp up
debugging on your 6.x install to see if it starts crashing there was well --
see malloc(3) for details, you'll want to create an appropriate malloc.conf.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge