Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 2009 00:06:20 +0100
From:      Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where do I find instructions on how to configure sane-epkowa

> The uscanner device has been deprecated in favor of the libusb API that is in
> the base system in 8.x. (Even the /dev/ugen devices are now just links to
> nodes in /dev/usb/.)
>
> If you have the configuration right (both dll.conf and epkowa.conf), check the
> device permissions. I've got the following in /etc/devfs.rules (not devfs.conf!);
>
>      add path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group usb
>
> (Note that USB devices are now in a separate subdirectory!) All users of UDB
> devices must be in the usb group, in this case. If you don't have untrusted
> users you could use 'mode 0666' without the group statement.
>
> If the device permissions are OK, please post your epkowa.conf and dll.conf,
> and the output of 'usbconfig list' when the scanner is attached
>
> As an aside, have you tried the plain epson driver?
>
> Roland

my dll.conf:

# enable the next line if you want to allow access through the network:
net
abaton
agfafocus
apple
avision
artec
artec_eplus48u
as6e
bh
canon
canon630u
canon_dr
#canon_pp
cardscan
coolscan
#coolscan2
coolscan3
#dc25
#dc210
#dc240
dell1600n_net
dmc
epjitsu
#epson
epson2
fujitsu
#gphoto2
genesys
gt68xx
hp
hp3900
hpsj5s
hp3500
hp4200
hp5400
hp5590
hpljm1005
hs2p
ibm
leo
lexmark
ma1509
matsushita
microtek
microtek2
mustek
#mustek_pp
mustek_usb
mustek_usb2
nec
niash
pie
pint
pixma
plustek
#plustek_pp
#pnm
qcam
ricoh
rts8891
s9036
sceptre
sharp
sm3600
sm3840
snapscan
sp15c
#st400
#stv680
tamarack
teco1
teco2
teco3
#test
u12
umax
#umax_pp
umax1220u
v4l
xerox_mfp
epkowa

epkowa.conf

usb 0x04b8 0x0130

I've created /etc/devfs.rules it was not present!

With the line:

add path 'usb/*' mode 0660

usbconfig list

ugen0.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
(12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen1.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
(12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen2.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
(12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen3.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
(480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen4.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
(12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen5.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus5, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
(12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen6.1: <UHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
(12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen7.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus7, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
(480Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen4.2: <USB Receiver Logitech> at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL
(12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen2.2: <5880 Broadcom Corp> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
pwr=ON
ugen7.2: <EPSON Scanner EPSON> at usbus7, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH
(480Mbps) pwr=ON

I've not tried the plain epson driver. Acording to the SANE home page my
scanner (Epson Perfection V500 Photo) is only supported by the epkowa
driver.

/Leslie