Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 02:14:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "David J. Kanter" <david.kanter@mindspring.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Security problem with "script"?

> I don't know if this is an issue or not, but using the script program with
> sudo seems to switch the sudoer's id to root.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> david@/usr/src % whoami
> david
> david@/usr/src % sudo script /usr/tmp/buildworld
> Script started, output file is /usr/tmp/buildworld
> root@/usr/src % whoami
> root
> root@/usr/src %
>
> Is this a security problem?

Maybe it's the lack of caffeine or sleep, but I fail to see the
problem here.  Sudo is supposed to run the command you give it as a
different user.  If you don't specify one with the -u flag, it assumes
you want to run it as root.  It looks like it did exactly what you
asked of it.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>