Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 01:31:50 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com
Subject:   Re: RFC 822 misconceptions

> I've been trying to say for a couple months that most email users will like
> HTML mail and this is one battle we should avoid rather than fight.  You will
> lose this battle, and it has nothing to do with Microsuk, though they will
> benefit if you fight it and lose.

Whatever you think about HTML formatting, keep in mind that when you post to a
mailing list, many people will be reading your message as part of a digest. I
do usually use an HTML-capable mail reader; nevertheless, since I subscribe to
the digest of this list I see lots of unreadable garbage in HTML-formatted
messages. For this reason, I would argue that it's never appropriate to post
HTML-formatted messages (or anything other than plain text) to mailing lists
that are distributed as digests.

I think that the particular formatting error that prompted this thread was
caused my Microsoft Outlook Express's nasty habit of breaking lines in weird
places if a message that has already been placed in the outbox is reopened.
Even if you don't change anything, Outlook Express silently reformats your
lines for you, and the result is ugly.

Chris