Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 19:14:20 +0200
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

In message <39160924.D00CAF40@softweyr.com>, Wes Peters writes:

>> There were some famous cases where some criminals were located by tracking
>> down their cell phone.

Several cases have been nailed shut here in Denmark on that basis by now,
people saying "I were not at home that evening, I was with some friend
on the other side of town" and the police then playing a GSM call and
showing the area where the phone could have been at the time of the call.

They need a court order of for both wire-tapping and getting hold of the
location information.

FreeBSD coreteam member | BSD since 4.3-tahoe