Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:33:45 -0700
From:      "Dharma Wolford" <bsd.talk@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: determining what's in the base system

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:

> That's more the sort of answer I was expecting, but seems less easily
> employed than just using `which` to determine whether something's located
> under /usr/local.

Hi,

It just occurs to me to mention that  "which"  searches the user's PATH and
reports back the first instance of the executable it finds.  So you'd
potentially get different results for different users on the same system,
and it doesn't tell you that something isn't installed or located in more
than one place, it just tells you where the *first* instance of it was
found.  You might say "which bash" and get a result of '/usr/bin/bash'
...and meanwhile there might also be  '/usr/local/bin/bash' but it won't
tell you that.  The 'locate' command could be useful too, but it depends on
how complete the locate database is.  Anyway...

take care,

dharma