Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:00:09 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Multimedia ML <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's sound system lineage....

Quoting Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net> (from Sun, 22 Jul 2007 =20
23:17:30 +1000):

> Hello list,
> I've been wondering for a little while what is the lineage of  =20
> FreeBSD's kernel sound support . I couldn't find any reference to it =20
>  in the Handbook... RTFM welcome :)
>
> I get it isn't ALSA related. I've read that we use the Open Sound  =20
> System...how does this relate to http://opensound.com/ ?

FreeBSD supports/provides/uses the OSS API, but not the opensound code =20
itself. At some point in time in the past what we had in FreeBSD was =20
similar to what OSS was at that time, but since then the code behind =20
the API diverged. You can use OSS itself if you want (it's available =20
in the ports collection).

> Also, if I understand this correctly, the kernel 'adheres' to a  =20
> standard (OSS), and then @ the user level we can run things like  =20
> esd, artsd ,etc right? which simply add another API for other apps  =20
> to push their noisy bits down our speakers....

Yes.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20