Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:32:20 +0200
From:      Ralf van Dooren <ralf.van.dooren@asml.com>
To:        Janne Mattila <jannemat@saunalahti.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow network: FreeBSD 4.6,  Linksys LNE100TX NIC and 3Com 3C905C-TX

Janne,

> I just installed FreeBSD 4.6 as gateway/router and my workstation
> (Win2000) is having very poor transfer rates. Especially download rate,
> which is about 2kB/s sec. (Yes, 100Mb LAN and 2kB/s). My girlfriend

Try to ping the gateway from your workstation. I had similar experiences
with the generic kernel, but then for all workstations. A ping would
have a roundtrip time of about 1 sec.

The solution in my case to compile a new kernel, with only the necessary 3Com
options in the kernel configuration. Just comment out all other network
cards that aren't installed in your system.

Good luck.

--
Ralf van Dooren                 e: ralf.van.dooren@asml.com
ASML Building 7H4.020           t: +31 40 2686372