Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:06:46 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Pietro Cerutti <gahr@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        matt donovan <kitchetech@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What if a port doesn't have a version

On Oct 27, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Pietro Cerutti wrote:
> |> Should I use the version from the installed version after I install
> |> cinelerra for the portversion and just tar it up?
> |
> | Create your own tarball and give it a version which is a date-
> timestamp
> | like "20081027"...
>
> Or use the revision control's revision number.

That works well with things like Subversion which ensure that the
"revision number" is monotonically increasing.  My understanding of
git is that it favors decentralized workareas or repositories without
a project-wide unique version number, and it's revisions look like
"commit c82a22c39cbc32576f64f5c6b3f24b99ea8149c7" in the logs, which
do not compare sensibly when considered as numbers.

Regards,
--
-Chuck