Date:      Wed, 31 May 2000 14:37:20 +0100
From:      "Gallagher, Mick" <mick.gallagher@roke.co.uk>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   User-PPP not seeing incoming PPP packets on 3.4R

Hi All,

I'm running 3.4R, and trying to get a PPP link established with my ISP.

My /etc/ppp/ppp.conf script pretty much looks like the default example
script, modified to include my ISP login details.

If I run ppp -backgound <labelname>, then the PPP connection fails.

A brief examination of /var/log/ppp.log implies that the initial outgoing
LCP config-req is generated and sent, but no reply is received from the ISP.

I don't buy this - the ISP connection works fine with my Windows box.

And so...

(i) Any ideas?

(ii) Can anyone tell me how to get tcpdump to look at the bpf tun thing, so
I can actually monitor the packet flow?

..and..

(iii) The PPP link actually _worked_ at some point in the past, but I didn't
save the config script (doh!). I'm pretty sure its the same as it is now,
except for one (possibly crucial) difference: Since PPP worked, I installed
an ethernet NIC, and configured the i/f IP address of the NIC as 10.0.0.1.
Because of this, I changed the default 'dummy' PPP local tun address from
10.0.0.1 to 11.0.0.1. (The original PPP 10.0.0.1 address comes from the
example ppp.conf file).

As ever, any help gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Mick Gallagher