Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2010 08:12:35 -0800
From:      Brad Penoff <penoff@cs.ubc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: premature ENOMEM

Thanks Anton for the advice about a low kern.maxdsiz .  Does that work
on your machine?  I tried to give instructions in the original post so
that anyone can tune their machine and try to see what I am seeing.
Can others try to see on their own machines if the suggestions work?
I'll do anything to help (even provide machines, if need be).  I'm
surprised how difficult this is FreeBSD compared to Linux and Mac OS
X, but I think FreeBSD will be the most performant if I can get over
this hump.

On my machine, I had kern.maxdsiz, kern.maxssiz, and kern.dfldsiz all
set to 2147483648 to match the 2 GB on my machine; that wasn't working
though.  I tried to modify but had much worse results...

I set this:
kern.maxdsiz=3D"1000000"
kern.maxssiz=3D"2147483648"
kern.dfldsiz=3D"2147483648"
... and NFS didn't load.

I set this:
kern.maxdsiz=3D"0"
kern.maxssiz=3D"2147483648"
kern.dfldsiz=3D"2147483648"
... and sshd didn't load!

What combination should I try or what combination did you have in
mind?  Please excuse my ignorance.

Also, I don't understand the link you sent... was it mistyped?  It
seems to go to some index and not any advice on this matter...
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200207291839.g6TIduVw055637

Thanks again for your help and ahead of time to anyone else's... I'm
getting a bit desperate and I'm surprised how difficult this is to get
working in FreeBSD when it was so simple in Linux and Mac OS X.  The
thing is, I typically use FreeBSD for the best performance but I can't
even get it to run there, at the moment.

Thanks,
brad