Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:37:31 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        "Kenneth Wayne Culver" <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: shutdown -p now

> I want shutdown to make my computer turn off without pushing the power
> button. I looked in the manpage for shutdown, and shutdown -p now is
> supposed to turn off the computer. However it doesn't. I have a PII 450
> with the apm device turned on. Windows, and Redhat both do what I'm asking
> so I was just wondering what I'm doing wrong in FreeBSD.

I'm not sure, 'cause I don't have a new-enough computer  :-(

But...

Do you have APM support compiled into your kernel?

From LINT:
    # Miscellaneous hardware:
    # apm: Laptop Advanced Power Management (experimental)
    device          apm0    at isa?

Also, see the apm(8) man page.

Hope this helps,

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!