Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:57:52 +0200
From:      Peter van Dijk <peter@dataloss.nl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARP behavior in FreeBSD vs Linux

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 08:49:28AM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> On FreeBSD, we solve this issue by assigning the IPs to lo0. For
> Linux, this approach works equally well and is what the Linux Virtual
> Server documentation recommends.

Oops.. the docs I read were for Linux 2.0. The docs for 2.2 recommend
flipping some 'hidden' flag in /proc/sys/net/ipv4; this suggests that
Linux responds to ARP even for lo0 by default.

So indeed, Linux requires -extra- care to get a DR loadbalanced
situation right..

Cheers, Peter
--
peter@dataloss.nl        | ~ tonight tonight, what is this potion