Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 12:48:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mr D Whitehead (Ext 2703) <davew@sees.bangor.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Security of non root nfs mounts

Hi,

	FreeBSD-2.0.5R does not seem to be able to export a filesystem
when the mount request was made by Sun's PCNFS using its default user
of 'nobody' (uid:2 gid:2) , this was not the case for (some) earlier
versions (2.0R & 2.0-950112-SNAP).  Is this an intentional change made
for security reasons, and if not is there a way round this?

	This situation came to my attention when upgrading the servers
for our teaching lab. where we have PC's running both Dos and FreeBSD.
When the PC's are booted as Dos machines all readonly filesystems and
printers are mounted during the execution of autoexec.bat providing a
basic range of facilities.  Later when the user has logged in more
filesystems and facilities are provided.  Needless to say its done this
way so that the login command (and a few other important bits) can be
maintained as on the network where system wide changes can be easily
made and controlled.

--
		Dave Whitehead (Computer Support Staff)
EMAIL:-					|	TELEPHONE (work):-