Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2011 15:19:52 -0500
From:      Kevin Wilcox <kevin.wilcox@gmail.com>
To:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help: Looking to contact someone running FreeBSD on ESX

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:52, Mark Felder <feld@feld.me> wrote:

> The ones that crash are usually our main webservers (Apache, PHP, no MySQL
> locally though). We have LOTS of IPs on them and they do a ton of network
> traffic, but usually don't have a super high load average (maybe .75 - 1.0
> on a normal day?). Currently we're running 8.1-RELEASE on them.

Just as a note regarding that load average and ESX.

I've noticed that none of my FreeBSD VMs report a *true* load average
on ESX. The CPU hardly ever spikes (particularly on some snort
listeners) but ESX shows the VMs as being CPU-bound the better part of
the day. You may want to take a look at what the ESX performance
charts are showing during your heavy usage periods and particularly
before things go pear-shaped.

kmw