Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 23:28:00 -0800
From:      Dann Lunsford <dann@greycat.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DHCP problem when installing 3.4-RELEASE

I'm trying to install 3.4-RELEASE from the CD-ROM's on a colleague's
old Thinkpad 755C, and running into a *wierd* snag.  First, the
environment:  Thinkpad 755C in a docking station; CD #1 in a drive
on a very well tested 3.4-STABLE machine.  Thinkpad has 3c589d PCMCIA
card.  Card, cables, etc. work perfectly under (*YUCK*) Windows.

Since the docking station CD is not recognized by the install kernel,
I'm attempting to do an NFS install.  The network has a DHCP server
I use all the time with my laptop, also running 3.4-STABLE.  So
I attempt to use DHCP at install.  Here's where it gets wierd:  Install
says no DHCPOFFERS.  Turn on a sniffer, the Thinkpad is sending
DHCPDISCOVER's *and the server is responding with OFFERS!*  For some
reason, the Thinkpad is simply ignoring the OFFERS.  What I see
in the log screen is a number of DISCOVERs with various timeouts (and
the sniffer sees them all, followed by OFFERS!),
followed by a message saying no OFFERS detected; the main screen then
goes to the manual config screen.

NOTHING I've tried has worked.  Clearly something is wrong.  But what?
The card is functioning, the DHCP server functions with every machine
I've tried, I don't *think* I screwed up with the install options
(this is how I got one of the other Thinkpads in the office working),
so I'm at a loss.  I'll probably have to PLIP it, which I've done
a number of times, also.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  Or is it just my Murphy Field
acting up again?

--
Dann Lunsford       The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil
dann@greycat.com    is that men of good will do nothing.  --  Cicero