Date:      Sat, 26 May 2012 12:44:23 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NewSysLog | Crontab

--------------enig9CAFABCE2921DD28153C7475

On 26/05/2012 12:02, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> I have this issue with bzip2 and the generation of backup logfiles.
> This is the error I get:
>=20
> --- cut ---
>=20
> bzip2: I/O or other error, bailing out.  Possible reason follows.
> bzip2: No such file or directory
>     Input file =3D /var/log/all.log.0, output file =3D /var/log/all.log=
=2E0.bz2
> newsyslog: `bzip2 -f /var/log/all.log.0' terminated with a non-zero
> status (1)
> bzip2: Can't open input file /var/log/maillog.0: No such file or direct=
ory.
> newsyslog: `bzip2 -f /var/log/maillog.0' terminated with a non-zero
> status (1)
>=20
> --- cut ---
>=20
> Can you tell me what goes wrong here and how to solve this?

The underlying problem seems to be problems writing to /var/log.
Is the partition (/var probably) full up or out of inodes?

   df -ih /var/log

Also, look at the console to see if anything has been logged there.

If it isn't running out of space, then check that the directory hasn't
got weird flags settings:

   ls -laoR /var/log

Having something like noschg set on the directory would cause the
observed symptoms, but I am at a loss to understand how on earth
anything like that could come about.

There are a couple of other things it might be, but it's quite unlikely
you wouldn't get crashes, coredumps and other signs of the end-times
should any of those be the case.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20