Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 07:47:14 -0500
From:      Branson Matheson <Branson.Matheson@FergInc.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        nash@mcs.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Runnig FIND

> >  Your right. I forgot about that little gem. That is a pain in the
> >  tuckus. Could make for alot of headaches when searching for somthing
> >  like this. Grrrr. Is there a reason for crontab -l *not* showing
> >  /etc/crontab?
>
> Historical, probably.  /etc/crontab is for systemwide maintenance
> processes, root's crontab would imply that those processes run for the
> root user's own business.   I.e. atrun runs out of cron since it's a
> system thing, but a status monitor could run out of root's crontab.
>
> If you have root access though, why bother with the crontab(1) interface
> when you can just edit /etc/crontab directly?

 Hmm.. Consistancy comes to mind as a good reason. It is the
 inconsistancy of having two places that i am concerned about. General
 users, meaning users that also have root, ( including myself as I
 forgot ) could have a problem finding things that they put in one
 place and not another.

 Possible suggestion.. when root does a crontab -[le], could it check
 for the existance of /etc/crontab and give you the choice of editing
 it or the regular crontab?

  - branson

Branson Matheson       	        " If you are falling off of a mountain,
Unix System Administrator         You may as well try to fly."
Ferguson Enterprises, Inc.           - Delenn, Mimbari Ambassador
           ( $statements = <BRANSON> ) !~ /Corporate Opinion/;