Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:33:49 -0500
From:      Kris Maglione <bsdaemon@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ath: a few questions

--------------enigB4A78AEBD0DF21A284909D43

Sam Leffler wrote:

> Kris Maglione wrote:
>
>> Bruce M Simpson wrote:

>>> I'm running 5.3-STABLE as of last Wednesday and do not see this sysctl.
>>>
>>> Please give version information (uname -a) when posting this kind of
>>> query,
>>> as it's next to impossible to give useful advice otherwise.
>>>

>> Sorry about that. No uname -a, but it's the 5-STABLE from about a few
>> days ago. The kernel config file is actually the (minimally modified)
>> FreesBIE config file from a few months ago, but why is a long story.
>

> The setting is a read-only sysctl because once the module is loaded
> changing it has no effect.  Set it before you kldload the module or in
> your hints file if you want it different than the default.
>

>>> You should be able to 'tcpdump -i ath0 -y ieee802_11' to verify that
>>> you
>>> can capture 802.11 packets straight off the card.
>>>

>> I have done that, and I have used kismet. My problem with kismet
>> turned out to just be a wierd way that kismet reports things.
>

> kismet has been broken for a while.  It used to work but something
> broke it and I've had no time to dig (it's painful to debug as it's a
> multi-process app written in C++ and makes heavy use of STL so
> inspecting data structures is a pain).
>

>>> I haven't experienced the problems with walls you mention.
>>>

>> I use 11a. Like I said, there is no problem with windows. I forgot to
>> mention that windows also reports higher data rates (54Mbps when
>> FreeBSD reports 18Mbps, but I don't trust that, really. It reports up
>> to 108Mbps in turbo, but the AP only supports 76). Also, through a
>> wall or two, windows reports high signal, but I can't test that in
>> freebsd, since the driver doesn't seem to support it.
>

> You've provided zero useful information so I've been ignoring your
> winging.  Regardless you are comparing apples and oranges.  The NDIS
> driver supports several hardware features that the open source driver
> does not.  At least one of those, XR mode, can be a significant factor
> in the extended range performance you see.  The other critical factor
> is that the NDIS driver has an excellent transmit rate control
> algorithm while the onoe rate control code is little more than a
> noop.  I've solicited better algorithms for almost 3 years but noone's
> stepped up. I cannot do one because I am familiar with several
> proprietary algorithms and so "tainted".

Sorry, I haven't provided any useful information, because I don't know
what information to provide.

transmit rate is not the only issue.  NetStumbler finds 4 (2 entirely
unprotected) APs in my neighborhood, while kismet only finds 2 (one of
which NetStumbler doesn't). Since kismet doesn't transmit, there must be
some other issue at play, I just don't know how to find it.