Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2007 22:56:35 +0100
From:      usleepless@gmail.com
To:        "Josh Paetzel" <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail setup

Guys, ( unfortunatly there were no girls ),

On 2/6/07, Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 15:35, usleepless@gmail.com wrote:
> > List, Guys and Girls,
> >
> > although i know this is not a specific freebsd issue, i will ask
> > the question nevertheless.
> >
> > normally, i sent my outgoing email through my isp ( relay.x.z ).
> > this server seems to be down at the moment.
> >
> > so after working with bsd for years, i decided to dive into
> > sendmail. i read a lot, setup the stuff and tested sh*t.
> >
> > so basically, it seems to work fine: i can send messages between
> > machines on the LAN, but messages to the outside(gmail, other
> > domains) timeout.
> >
> > i ran tcpdump on the external interface, and the only thing that
> > seems to happen is my machine contacting the other machines, but
> > they never reply!:
> >
> > 22:24:25.763774 x.y.z.4091 > gsmtp183.google.com.smtp: S
> > 1796563309:1796563309(0) win 57344 <mss 1460> (DF)
> >
> > how come? how do i find out? i checked /var/log/security and stuff
> > is not being blocked by ipfw.
> >
> > sendmail reports:
> > stat=Deferred: Operation timed out with gsmtp163.google.com.
> >
> > i have masqueraded(sendmail) with my isp-assigned-domain-name (
> > ipXXzYYY.provider.country ), and with another domain i own.
> >
> > am i missing something obvious?
> >
> > thanks in advance for any help,
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > usleep
>
> It's highly possible your ISP is blocking port 25 to everything but
> their mailservers in an effort to keep their customers from running
> open relays and other nasty spam software.

thanks a bunch. it got me thinking.

1. i have an adsl-account with ip-connectivity only ( no mail, no
news, no mailserver, no nothing )
2. i used to send my email using a relay-server coming with a hosted
domain i administer ( hosted by an isp abroad ).

so that was not working anymore. so i tried sendmail, which did not work either.

so i pinged "smtp.myisp-withnoservices.country" ( which previously
never existed ).

bingo! now it exists.

so they decided to block port 25, and add this relay-server.

thanks!

regards,

usleep