Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 19:42:41 +0200
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@monrif.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Can't send mail: HELO command rejected

On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 03:12:32PM +0200, Simon J Mudd wrote:
> fcasadei@monrif.net writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I'm unable to send mail to freebsd-questions mailing list using mutt/qmail.
>
> freebsd.org uses postfix as a MTA.
>
> The SMTP exchange when you connect to freebsd.org's mail server
> requires that the connecting client identifies itself using the HELO
> or EHLO command.
>
> The name the client uses is supposed to be a Fully Qualified host
> name, FQDN which is resolvable by the DNS.  The host name which your
> machine, or your provider's MTA is using in the HELO command is not
> resolvable and for this reason your mail is getting rejected.
>
> Solution: The SMTP client must identify itself correctly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon
> --
> Simon J Mudd, Madrid SPAIN    Tel: +34-91-408 4878    email: sjmudd@pobox.com

> end of the original message

I've modified the script /etc/ppp/ip-up to set /var/qmail/control/helohost and
/var/qmail/control/smtproutes with the proper information; it also starts
qmail. I've enabled artificial smtp routes because the first attempt made
with helohost and maildirsmtp did not work. Unfortunately the second attempt
failed, so I've added several folder hooks in .muttrc (one for each maildir):

folder-hook monrif 'set sendmail="/var/qmail/bin/qmail-inject\
                      -ffcasadei@monrif.net"'

Needless to say, also the third attempt failed! I've read carefully the error
messages returned by the mail system at tin.it and finally I've found the
problem:

Reporting-MTA: dns; fep24-svc.tin.it
Arrival-Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 18:43:59 +0200
Received-From-MTA: dns; a-tr4-36.tin.it (212.216.170.163)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; freebsd.org
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 450 <fep24-svc.tin.it>: Helo command rejected: Host not

In fact the reverse DNS lookup on fep24-svc.tin.it fails:

casimiro> host fep24-svc.tin.it
Host not found.

This is the fourth (and the last, I hope) attempt: I try to send this message
while connected to Tiscali (and thus using smtp.tiscalinet.it).

If you (and me too) see this message then it works!! :-))

	Francesco Casadei