Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:55:20 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATAPI tape support - how to format?

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 07:25:45PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 10:31:31AM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message <199912130738.IAA28004@freebsd.dk> Soren Schmidt writes:
> > : > Anything else I should know offhand other than "plug it in and use dump like
> > : > everything else"?
> > :
> > : Not really...
> >
> > Actually yes.  There is one thing you should know.  The ata tape
> > drives tend to be more flakey than their scsi brotheren.  This isn't
> > to say a specific drive won't be reliable, but in general I've found
> > that they are fussier and require more care and feeding than my old
> > Exebyte drives (Which should tell the old users of the 8200 and 8500
> > something here).
>
> It does, yes. I never had any desire to go for IDE tapes but I have now
> filed the idea as insane ;-)

Well I never have had any desire to do so EITHER, but the problem is that
one project I'm being sucked into is replacing NT-style machines with
FreeBSD/Samba ones (quite a nice niche application for small offices,
natch) and the problem is those folks are VERY cost-conscious.

As in the $100 price difference for a DAT drive plus the extra couple
hundred for the SCSI controller is too much.  Yeah, I know IDE disks suck
too.  They don't care, and in this application the performance difference
won't be noticable either.

Thus, the question.

BTW, I have older HP DAT drives (4 & 8gb models) that have several YEARS
of active use on them, and other than using a cleaning tape when the front
panel "clean me" light flashes I've NEVER had ANY problem with them.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!