Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 16:25:38 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Flavio Genelhu Oliveira <boo@gold.horizontes.com.br>
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: panic

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Flavio Genelhu Oliveira wrote:

> I received the message panic "cannot mount root"
>
> I have 2 WD HD - 1: with 630Mb and other with 515.
> I have DOS and OS/2 dual boot in the first HD, and
> wanted to put FreeBSD in the second (WD2) HD. The
> first HD is the master of the first IDE connector
> and the second is the master of the second IDE
> connector. I had to put them like this to freeBSD
> recognize my CDROM ATAPI. After the well done
> instalation of the system, i received the message
> above. Anything i am missing?
> BB     OO    OO    )   With my OWN HOME PAGE!!! * BANZAI!!!!!!!!! *
> B B   O  O  O  O  : )  (it is still under construction but it is already
> B  B  O  O  O  O  : )   avaiable to you my english speaker friends)
> BBB    OO    OO    )   http://web.horizontes.com.br/~fgenelhu

This is becoming a FAQ (I've answered it at least a dozen times).
You'll need to make your own kernel with the following line in the
configuration file:
config kernel root on wd2
To build it, you'll have to temporarily connect the second drive at
another position, and manually mount the filesystems on the correct
drive, then build the kernel and move the disk back to its place.

BTW, This is what I used to do for 2.1.0. I don;t know if there is a
simpler solution with 2.1.5. Am I wrong with something???

Nadav