Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:10:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mutex Records USA <mut3x@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMI Raid Controller

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Mutex Records USA wrote:

> I'm considering getting some AMI 1400 raid controllers for a few servers.
> I understand that they don't support booting, that's fine, I want to have a
> disk for system/swap anyway.

Mike Smith (the author of the amr driver for FreeBSD) is going to be a
much better authority on AMI MegaRAID controllers than I am, but I
just recently bought an Enterprise 1200 to play with.  I can boot from
this thing just fine, by the way.

> My question: I understand that the AMI card supports hotswapping
> drives.  Is this supported by the FreeBSD driver?  If so I am
> planning on buying some removable Kingston drive shells (unless
> someone can reccommend a better one!) Also, how would I be
> notified that a drive has failed? console messages?
> /var/log/messages, or wherever kernel error messages are set to go
> by /etc/syslog.conf?  The boxes are going to be in colocation
> about 800 miles away, so I need to know if a drive has croaked...
> My hearing is good, but not *that* good. :)

If I understand correctly, as long as the logical drive doesn't enter
the Failed or Offline states, then the driver won't care or need to
know and you can just swap a physical drive out and the controller
will begin to automatically begin to rebuild the logical drive,
assuming you have allowed it to do automatic rebuild.  You can also
set up a hot spare to have it happen without your intervention.
Obviously if a logical drive enters the Failed or Offline state, the
driver is going to have to know about it.  I have no idea if Mike put
anything in the driver to warn you about logical drives entering
Degraded mode, but from a quick look through the amr sources, it
doesn't look like it.  The controller will definately let out a loud
and relentless ear-piercing beep when a logical disk is in the
Degraded/Failed/Offline states. :-)

The controllers support communication with disk cabinets through
either a fault-bus connector or serial port, so if you used one of
those you could at least get a visual indication of which disk has
failed -- great if you want to hire a monkey to look for little red
lights once in a while and pull and replace a drive if one lights up.
:-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )