Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:56:04 -0500
From:      Yarema <yds@dppl.com>
To:        Paul Andrews <andrews@powersurfr.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SNMP and mod_php4

Paul Andrews wrote:

> First off I would like to say the support here for the freebsd ports has
> been great. I am trying to build mod_php4 with SNMP support. However when
> it comes to compiling the dependency for SNMP the following is displayed:
>
> SNMP is DISABLED for now. Ignoring.
>
> When I look at the configure.php script I find that under the SNMP section
> there are two options
>
> \"SNMP\")
>         echo "SNMP is DISABLED for now. Ignoring." >/dev/stderr
>         ;;
> \"nothing\")
>         echo "LIB_DEPENDS+=     snmp.4:\${PORTSDIR}/net/ucd-snmp"
>         echo "CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--with-snmp=\${PREFIX} --enable-ucd-snmp-hack"
>         ;;
>
> The main question is why is SNMP support disabled and secondly if I
> replace nothing with SNMP and build the port it fails because ucd-snmp no
> longer exists in the ports tree, should it not be net-snmp.
>
> Finally what is the enable-ucd-snmp-hack actually do.. When I went to
> php.net and searched for snmp it said to make sure to uncomment the
> NO_ZEROLENGTH_COMMUNITY from the config.h file. I noticed that when I
> compile net-snmp that this was not uncommented. Does the
> enable-ucd-snmp-hack solve this issue, or would it be better to compile
> net-snmp with the NO_ZEROLENGTH_COMMUNITY string uncommented.

I don't actually use SNMP with mod_php4 but I've been building php4 with
SNMP support fo a while on a veriety of machines by simply deleting the
following lines:

	echo "SNMP is DISABLED for now. Ignoring." >/dev/stderr
	;;
\"nothing\")

I see no reason why it should be disabled other than a long time ago
SNMP was broken.  I wasn't aware of the NO_ZEROLENGTH_COMMUNITY issue.
I believe enable-ucd-snmp-hack also only applies to very old versions of
ucd-snmp and php.

If nobody else is doing it I can send-pr a fix for the above issue as
well as enabling support for pdflib3 which works fine.

--
Yarema