Date:      Tue, 08 Jun 1999 14:18:22 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Pete Mckenna <pmckenna@uswest.net>
To:        Jeff Lush <jeff@nerdpower.com>, freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: New to PicoBSD

On 07-Jun-99 Jeff Lush wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have been working with FreeBSD for a short time now and am trying to make
> PicoBSD work for NAT on my LAN (see previous email...). I downloaded the
> router download and was initially having difficulties getting NATD to work.
> After looking around a little, it seems my problems don't start there.
>
> I set out to configure my rc.conf to enable my 2 3c509 NICs using ifconfig
> and enable firewall and gateway. To accomplish this I simply mounted the
> floppy in one of my FreeBSD machines and edited the /floppy/etc/rc.conf
> file.

What you're doing should work.

From the pico details of building doc.

After preparing the filesystem (which again involves doing disklabel(8) and
newfs(8) - here you can notice that the resulting FS has very small number of
inodes in order to save space), the script transfers the floppy hierarchy
(which is taken from ../${TYPE}/floppy.tree). Notice that it also contains the
/etc directory - its contents is copied right after bootup to the real /etc in
MFS. This allows for changing the system behaviour (because you can't change
the MFS contents without recompiling).
<

I had a similar problem
You can edit the rc.conf in /usr/src/release/picobsd/router/lang/
and then build yourself a new picobsd router floppy image.

Hope that helps.

Pete

E-Mail: Pete Mckenna <pmckenna@uswest.net>
Date: 08-Jun-99