Date:      Fri, 11 Jun 1999 09:24:31 -0300 (EST)
From:      Paulo Fragoso <paulo@nlink.com.br>
To:        CNL FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@bandman.nm.ece.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anything more to de0: link down/autosense failed errors?

Hi,

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, CNL FreeBSD ISP List wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> 	I remotely administer a FreeBSD Computer.
>
> 	I do occasionally encounter these errors via the daily
> 	messages sent to root:
>
> 	> de0: link down: cable problem?
> 	> de0: autosense failed: cable problem?

Escuse-me for my english mistakes :-) But I've had many problems with
network adapter using DEC DC21x4x chip. The main problem hapenned whenI
used two adapter in same computer (my most importantly router). I had many
mesages about "abnormal interrupt". Afeter few months, I discouvered my
upload was very slow. This error hapenned a lot when someone was
downloading something from my site, using fast connection.

In this computer I have one Etinc sync adapter and the problem was solved
after changed two DEC Network to NE2000 pci compatible.

Now if I have some computer with problem, frist of all I look for DEC
Network adapter in this machine.

Looking for goods Network adapter in some mailing list I've using Intel
Express (fxp 10/100) and D-Link DFE530-TX (vr - VIA Technologie 10/100).
Until now I not found anything wrong with those adpters.

Paulo Fragoso.

> 	Is there anything more to this than:
> 	1. Someone pulled out the ethernet cable and put it back?
> 	2. Or the ethernet card is possibly loosely held on the
> 		computer.
>
> 	I would like to rule out other possibilities before
> 	visiting the remote site.
>
> 	Thanks.
>
> Dinesh
> --
> CNL FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@lists.ece.iisc.ernet.in>

------
"  ... Overall we've found FreeBSD to excel in performace, stability,
technical support, and of course price. Two years after discovering
FreeBSD, we have yet to find a reason why we switch to anything else"
						-David Filo, Yahoo!