Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 01:44:12 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: perhaps i am just stupid.

Robert Nordier wrote:

> > > DOS sort is evil and DOS find is more evil. :)
> > >
> > > On UNIX/BSD, assuming /usr/bin/sort and /usr/bin/fgrep is reasonable.
> > > I think corresponding DOS assumptions are much riskier.
> >
> > Like I said, I see no reason to sort it anyways.
> >
> > Yes, dos find and sort are brain dead!
>
> Misinterpreted your DOS sort/find comment: apologies.
>
> However, unless some sorting takes place, the files may end up
> being processed out of order.  This may not be a likely problem,
> but it is a sufficiently possible one to need taking into account.
>
> I actually had to do a DOS cksum-like clone, years ago, and for
> compatibility it was necessary to sort the file args during the
> globbing.  Unfortunately this is something ports from UNIX frequently
> don't take into account.

Thats one of the several reasons I belive the path should be to
have the dos verify_checksum program read the checksum.sum and
work from it! This would side step alot of dos's brain deadness!
The only maintiance would be if the output of FreeBSD's cksum
changed. Not likly.

	fhandle = fopen("checksum.sum", ...)
	while(fgets(buf, len, fhandle) != EOF) {
		parse(buf);
		crc = do_crc(findfile(buf_filename));
		if (crc == valid_crc)
			it's ok
		else
			it's broke download it again!
	}

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848