Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:53:18 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Chojin <freebsd@tarakan-network.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cron program core dumped (signal 11)

[redirected to -stable, where this most probably belongs..]

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 05:35:27PM +0200, Chojin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I update & recompiled my system and my kernel.
> After reboot, I see cron program doesn't work
> it exits on a signal 11 (core dumped).
>
> MD5 (/usr/sbin/cron) = e56aa049cf7216f3c3f8e2ada7e9b4f3
>
> Someone could help me ?

Does cron also segfault if you run it from the command line
as root (by just typing cron at the command prompt)?

If it does, can you try the following series of commands..

  cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/cron
  make cleandir depend
  make CFLAGS="-ggdb -g3" STRIP="" all install

..then run '/usr/sbin/cron' from the command line, and see if it
leaves a coredump in the current directory.  If it does, then
do the following:

  gdb /usr/sbin/cron /path/to/cron.core
  (at the gdb prompt)
  bt
  info local
  up
  info local
  up
  info local
  [repeat until highest level]

Hm.  Now that I kinda tested this, cron doesn't seem to leave
a corefile.  Well, still.. this message was redirected to -stable
in the hope that somebody there would know better how to help :\

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence claims to be an Epimenides paradox, but it is lying.