Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 13:19:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Robert Hammond <rhammond@www.datastream.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP Help

> to, it connects, then it sits there.  I know my provider uses the PPP
> authentication protocol, but I can't figure out how to get the interface to
> use that.  Any help as soon as possible would be appreciated.
>
> Robert Hammond

Once you have logged into your provider and have PPP running on his end,
type a ~p to start packet mode on your end.

If it abruptly hangs up on you, maybe you need to figure out PAP or
CHAP.  If it's something simple like PAP, before you do 'term' type the
following:

ppp> set authname whoeverIam
ppp> set authkey  my_pap_password
ppp> term

...and then do all the other stuff.  CHAP is almost assuredly different,
unfortunately I don't use it so I can't help you without going home and
doing the ol' RTFM myself.

Good luck and Godspeed,

Brian