Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2006 10:56:52 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing removable ATA hard drives

On Thursday 05 October 2006 10:38, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm reluctant to experiment any more than I have done: the server
> > the drive bay has been fitted to is our live fileserver, with 120GB
> > of user data on two drives on the other ATA channel.
>
> I know I would take time to install the drive bay in a test machine,
> with an old disk and play with it until I am 100% confident on the way
> to mount and dismount your disk... Whatever others can say.

Yes, so would I normally but I'm under pressure for a quick fix to this and a
number of other issues, as you might guess from the OS version on the server:
I'm trying to impose order on a bunch of inherited and undocumented servers
running (at least) 4.7-release, 4.9-release, 4.9-stable, 5.2-release,
5.4-release-p6, plus Red Hat 6.0 and WinNT 4.0 SP6a.

Jonathan