Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:18:14 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, pixfbsd <pixfbsd@earthlink.net>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer job date change

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 06:19, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 8:34 PM -0600 12/30/03, pixfbsd wrote:
> >In the dfA009exampleFile in /var/spool/output/lpd/hp2200
> >there is the value @PJL SET DATE=3D31-12-2003.  I want to ...
> >change that value to the year 2000.
> >
> >Why?  If you recall HP has date information in their
> >printer cartridges, that after a certain date the cartridge
> >becomes "expired".
>
> Huh.  I didn't realize they did that via PJL commands.
>
> Luckily we tend to send postscript, and I don't think we've
> ever hit one of those expiration messages.

PJL and postscript can co-exist. It is still possible for some
filter -- most likely from HP -- to add PJL instructions=20
informing the printer of the current date.

Of course if you send generic postscript as generated by a unix
application direct without a filter then the PJL can't get added.
But on the other hand some features of some printers can only=20
be accessed via PJL.

Malcolm Kay