Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 18:31:04 +0200
From:      "Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?=" <watchman@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Chris <chrismar@shasta.eclipse.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems running xmms on FreeBSD 3.2

Good morning!

Chris wrote:
> I have had similar problems.  I found that adding those few lines to th=
> kernel actually makes the problem worse.  I have noticed the problem is=

> much worse with 0.9.1 as opposed to 0.9..
> =

> If you run xmms 0.9 with rtprio, such as `rtprio 0 xmms` it works prett=
> much as it should except for the kernel messages.

Yes, running xmms with rtprio 0 does make the player work, but the GUI
still behaves quite strange. Also, I still get some music-lock ups. The
good thing is that the IRQ/DMA-timeout messages are gone.

When just running xmms with a kernel compiled with the POSIX-options
suggested by Alfred, the "tried  to use non-present sched_getscheduler"
didn't reappear which I guess suggests that xmms is using some stuff in
that POSIX library.

However, I didn't get any appearant change in the quality of the music
playback, but I did start to see some "OSS flush"-messages.

=46rom this I guess that it's a problem with the threads and not the
settings of the soundcard. (esp since both I and Chris are having
similar problems). Has anybody else on freebsd-questions tried xmms and
if so, did it work?

If you look at the webpage for xmms, they talk about thread-safe X libs.
What's the relationship for those visavi FreeBSD?

I will talk to a friend who knows the xmms-devguys. They have not shown
any greater interest in FreeBSD though. If this suggests that they are
not doing everything all right with thread handling, they might be more
interested.

Thanks so far and keep those comments and suggestions coming.
-- =

Cheers!
Joachim - Alltid i harmonisk sv=E4ngning
--- FairLight ------ FairLight ------ FairLight ------ FairLight ---
Joachim Str=F6mbergson         ASIC SoC designer, nice to CUTE animals
Phone: +46(0)31 - 27 98 47    Web: http://www.ludd.luth.se/~watchman
--------------- Spamfodder: regeringen@regeringen.se ---------------