Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 2015 11:21:35 +0000
From:      Dr Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ada drives keep timing out!

> On 20 Feb 2015, at 11:14, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk> wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
>> On 20 Feb 2015, at 10:34, Dr Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk> wrote:
>>=20
>> Hi there,
>>=20
>> I reported this last year, but I=E2=80=99d like to revisit it as it =
must have a software remedy. I know that I=E2=80=99m not the only one to =
have reported the problem.
>>=20
>> I have a ZFS pool with a number of western digital drives in it (WDC =
WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0 02.01B01).
>=20
> WD Green Power drives. I've had similar problems, sometimes they take =
a looooong time to come ready; the controller times out waiting for =
drive ready and the rest you know.
>=20
> Depending on the controller there may be nothing you can do. Maybe =
it's possible to turn off the drives's green features. I replaced the =
drives with something that works.=20
>=20

Hi Bob,

In this case other report no such issues on the same hardware running =
Linux, so it seems to me to be an internal timeout issue within FreeBSD, =
or maybe Linux retries more than FreeBSD and so doesn=E2=80=99t =
experience the issue that we do. It=E2=80=99s clear that FreeBSD is =
proactively disconnecting the drive when the timeout occurs. So, maybe =
there=E2=80=99s something that can be done there.

Joe=