Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:43:38 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@bricsnet.com>
Subject:   Re: sendmail and relaying...

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 06:09:00PM -0400, Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:

> A few suggestions if you haven't checked them already...
>
> If you're now running sendmail 8.11, you need to rename sendmail.cw to
> /etc/mail/local-host-names? Check that you did and that all domains you want
> to accept mail for are in there.
>
> What are you using in /etc/mail/access? Use the RELAY rather than OK (that
> got me the first time).
>
> You might want to read..  /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README and
> /etc/mail/README for more info on the SPAM stuff.
>
> Regards,
> Mit

	I was just beginning to wade thru the cf/README--at David
	Wolfskill's suggestion--when Erin Fortinberry suggested that I
	check his sendmail config files.  I was using RELAY in my
	/etc/mail/access files and I had created the local-host-names
	file with my main and networked names.  But looking at Erin's
	files really shed the light.

	In my case--everyone else's mileage will vary--I needed
	/etc/mail/relay-domains, and in that file I needed the IP
	of tao.[tera|cray].com.  With this (plus a kill -HUP), mail
	to kline@thought.org works again.

	I've tested it from logins at toxic.magnesium.net and
	muuz.deadbbs.com, so assume it will work from any valid site.

	I'll say it again: the great thing about open-source is that
	people help one another.  With that, thanks to everybody!

	gary